Wednesday, 9 January 2013

Garnier Olia Hair Dye Review




When I was in the Remington hair campaign, they made me dye my hair a darker shade of red to cover my roots (at the time I had a red ombre effect going on, not intentional - I'd stripped my previous red hair dye out in the intention of going light again). The hair dye Chris Appleton chose out for me was Garnier Olia Hair Dye in the shade 4.6, or 'deep red'. As I'd just lightened my hair from a similar shade and spent quite a bit doing so I was a tad miffed at this, but as Remington were reimbursing me for it it wasn't too bad! Today, I had to cover up my roots, so I thought I'd do a review whilst doing so! Having dyed my hair for quite while, I've tried many brands and so wanted to see how this dye compared...




Now, after dying my hair for the very first time back when I was about 15, I knew from early on how hard to apply hair dye is with just the applicator. I bought some cheap and cheerful hair dye brushes (which came with a comb and a pot and other helpful stuff) from the poundshop to help with the process. I have lots of hair, so I have to be pretty thorough!



I started with my roots. I popped a towel on to my shoulders and shook the mixture up (in a cool bottle, much different to other brands) and squirted it into the bowl. The shade was a light orangey reddy colour and only transformed into a deep red when it touched my hair, no matter how long it was in the bowl for - weird!


I find roots the hardest part as I don't have eyes in the back of my head and can't see what I'm doing, so I got my lovely Mum to help apply it all over using the dye brush. She's done this many times for me - MANY times - so she's a bit of a pro at it now. The smell of Olia is very different to other hair dyes as this dye has no ammonia smell, and therefore doesn't singe the nostrils and make the eyes water!

After it was applied to my roots, I pottered around and did other stuff for 20 minutes. Sometimes hair dye can make my scalp feel a little warm and itchy as the dye starts to work (don't worry, I always do a patch test so I know I'm not reacting!), but I got none of that with this dye. After 20 minutes, I went back to slather the rest of the dye onto the rest of my hair. I clipped it back, and waited another 10 minutes.




After 10 minutes I went to rinse it out. It took aaaages to rinse out (like every other hair dye). I then whacked on a load of the conditioner that comes with the dye and waited for 20 minutes before rinsing it out.

Once blown dry, the colour was pretty good. However, it's not as shiny as I envisaged... and I have a few patched on my roots. Now, my Mum has dyed my hair many a time with different dyes and never left my roots; she is thorough, so I don't know how they could have been missed! When my friend Becky dyed it for Remington, it was also quite patchy, though I put that down to inexperience of dye spreading on her part as she'd never dyed someone's hair before. I don't know whether Ive been unfortunate twice or whether it's the dye, but alas I do have a few undyed areas of hair (easily hidden, thankfully!) Apart from that the dye was pretty good, especially since it's ammonia free. It works like every other hair dye I've used, except I'd say it gives a teeny bit less shine and it a bit more expensive. Being honest, ir's not the best dye I've ever used. I really miss Herbal Essences hair dye in 'fiery red' as it looked healthy and glossy and smelt beaut, but I think they discontinued it! Heartbreaking!



Anywho, this is my hair after it had been dried:


Is it the colour on the box? Hmm, debatable... it's still a nice, deep red though, and my roots look far better which was what I was most concerned about as I'm graduating next week! All in all not a bad colour depth and not a bad home colouring kit either. It's selling point is definitely that is has no ammonia, which is a huge bonus - but if you're after shine, this wouldn't be my first port of call!

Meli X


9 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! The colour really suits you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! My natural hair colour is so much lighter though, and my hair grows so fast so the only downside to this colour is constantly having to touch up my roots! xxx

      Delete
  2. great post *_* your blog is very lovely and interesting. im glad if you visit my blog, too <3 keep in touch!

    xx
    beauthi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I will definitely check out your blog! :) xxx

      Delete
  3. Love the red hair colour...gorgeous x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dyeing my hair with this dye tomorrow and hoping that the one box will be enough for my really long hair since I am going aboard the day after and don't want my hair in three different colours :') just hoping that this won't turn out orangey or brown as I'm hoping for a eye catching red, I think next time I should get the intense red since I was too scared to do so this time. Awesome review, the red suits you ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I wish I'd seen this comment sooner - did you manage OK with the one box? What did you think of the colour? I don't think it's orangey at all, in fact I'd say it's darker than it looks on the box... still pretty though! Thank you so much :) xxx

      Delete
  5. Since henna only has the power to dye your hair red-orange, some more adventurous dyers add in ingredients to tweak the hue: cloves, coffee grounds, red wine or dried limes. You could also experiment with mixing another natural hair dye with henna.

    henna hair dye

    ReplyDelete